Functional Medicine Appointments Available via TeleMedicine & Free Shipping on Supplements!
Fight Off The Flu With Functional Medicine!
As we transition from Fall to Winter, we enter the peak of “flu season.” It is commonly thought that the transmission of the flu is caused by spending more time indoors and coming into close contact with other people more often, though the exact cause of flu season is still unknown.
Have no fear, there are some steps you can take to fight off the flu with Functional Medicine this year. Read on and learn how to stay healthy all-season-long.
Understand The Root Cause Of The Flu – A Weak Immune System!
To fight off the flu with Functional Medicine, it’s important to understand that the root cause of the flu is not the influenza virus itself – but a weak or dysfunctional immune system. If your immune system is strong, healthy and robust, the odds of you not contracting the flu are on your side.
However, if your immune system is weak or dysfunctional, you may be at a higher risk. So let’s discuss a few simple things you can do to boost your immune system this flu season – and bolster your defenses against the virus.
Top Tips on How To Keep Your Immune System Strong This Flu Season
So, how can you strengthen your immune system and fight back against the flu with Functional Medicine? Here are some of our top tips.
- Get Enough Sleep – Insufficient or poor-quality sleep weakens the immune system. Aim for at least 8 hours of high-quality sleep per night.
- Eat Healthier – Eat whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean meats and other natural, healthy foods. Avoid GMOs, pesticides and overly-processed foods. Nutritional health is very important to your overall wellness.
- Work on Your Gut Health – 70% of your immune cells are in your gut. Make sure you avoid things that are harmful to your gut health such as tobacco use, artificial sweeteners and NSAID pain relievers. Consider taking a probiotic to boost gut health.
- Eliminate Household Toxins – Many household cleaning products, home scents like potpourri or candles, beauty products and other such things can contain toxins that may weaken your immune system. Check out Environmental Working Group to learn more about what household toxins you should avoid.
- Fight Back Against Stress – Stress can seriously harm your immune response. You should take steps to de-stress like meditating, massage therapy, managing your work-life balance and spending more time doing the hobbies you love.
- Exercise Regularly – Exercise, even in the form of simply taking a 30-minute walk per day, is a great way to bolster your immunity and improve your overall health.
- Wash Your Hands – Regular hand-washing is critical for avoiding the flu! Remember, it’s better to be safe than sick.
Follow These Tips From Holistic Vitality Center – Boost Your Immunity This Flu Season!
At Holistic Vitality Center, we take a holistic approach to helping our patients feel great and live to your fullest potential. If you’d like to learn more about how to fight back against the flu, or you’re interested in services like chiropractic treatment, acupuncture or nutrition therapy, we’d love to hear from you. Contact us now to schedule a consultation or call us at (919) 848-3333 for Better Health.