How to Choose a Good Functional Medicine Doctor
Integrative and functional medicine offers an alternative to mainstream approaches to many medical issues. Traditionally, doctors will give short appointments where very little is discussed, and then you’re sent on your way with a prescription for some type of medicine. There’s no explanation of why you’re feeling the way you are or how you can take a practical approach to fix the issue that sent you to their office in the first place.
At Holistic Vitality Center, we like to take a different approach by helping patients find the root cause of chronic health issues. In doing so, this enables a proper treatment plan to be formed where the best course of action is taken to deliver long-lasting results.
The key to receiving excellent holistic care is ensuring you choose the right doctor. As such, we’ve put together this guide to help anyone who’s having issues finding a practitioner. Here are a few tips on how you choose an excellent integrative and functional medicine doctor to support you on your wellness journey:
Key Traits To Be Aware Of
Many of the best functional and integrative medicine doctors offer similar services. Therefore, a good way to sift through the options is by checking to see if they match your needs including the following qualifications:
● They give you an outline of the treatment and tell you what to expect at every appointment and during each stage. This shows that they have a unique plan for you and won’t just provide random treatment each time.
● They don’t rush through your appointments. They take their time to explain everything in understandable terms and make you feel comfortable. Your doctor should be someone who acts as a partner in helping you get better, not someone who doesn’t show empathy and can’t wait to get you out of their office so they can see as many patients as possible!
● They have a specialty in specific chronic conditions and have the education and experience to back it up.
● They don’t make crazy treatment promises that are unrealistic and set your expectations too high.
● They place significant importance on your diet/nutrition and recommended a plant-based approach. This is a vital part of holistic health as it’s proven that plant-based, organic diets provide numerous health benefits.
Ideally, when you find your integrative and functional medicine practitioner, they should meet all of the requirements on this list. This will ensure that their services will be the most beneficial to you. Look for someone who will spend enough time with you, address your current and pre-existing conditions, go through treatment plans thoroughly, and doesn’t try and force you to pay for expensive treatments that won’t help you.
How to Select The Best Type of Integrative and Functional Medicine Doctor
As well as looking for a doctor who meets the requirements on the list, you should also think about what type of doctor will suit your needs. There are many types of medical practitioners available, and some may be better for you than others.
Some of the main types of Functional Medicine Practitioners can be seen here:
● Medical Doctor (M.D.)
● Doctor of Chiropractic (D.C.)
● Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine (N.D.)
● Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.)
● Nurse Practitioner (N.P.)
Each one of these practitioners carries different benefits. Your condition will dictate which type of doctor is best for you.
As an example, for internal health issues, a Medical Doctor is ideal as they have gone through traditional medical school and have the flexibility to prescribe medications and run tests. If you prefer a doctor that uses a system of treatment that avoids drugs and surgery, then a Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine (N.D.) would be better for you.
Healing the Natural Way
At Holistic Vitality Center, we believe that finding a doctor should be easy. We strive to balance our patients energetically, biochemically and physically allowing you to live a healthier life. On your first visit as a new patient, we will discuss what brings you to HVC, your medical history, desired outcome and goals.
We invite you to come meet our experienced chiropractor, nutritionist, massage therapist, and acupuncturist for whole body healing. You can easily schedule an appointment online, give us a call at (919) 848-3333 or come and visit our North Raleigh, NC location.